The Other Early Morning

Last night, utterly exhausted, I went to bed at 8 p.m. and woke up at 6 a.m. For most of my high school and college life, I've been a night owl, loving being awake into the early morning when few others are conscious. But today I realized that there are just as few people awake in the early morning as late at night.

After waking, I leisurely got ready for the day while listening to Bob & Tom on the radio. Showered, ate bowl of cheerios, brushed teeth, ordered coffee at The Mill, finished a 60-page reading assignment. And now a short blog! Half an hour left until work. I'll have time to relax, go through my planner, maybe read a chapter out of a new book, "Why Poetry Matters" by Jay Parini.

I've been more productive than an other night when I've been up until 2 a.m. And I have energy. I am happy. My grandpa was the first to tell me the maxim, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes the man healthy, wealthy, and wise." He lives by it, and I'm positive there's something to it.

1 comments:

Hannah said...

I totally agree. Although I have an EASIER time staying up late rather than waking up early, I find it's much easier to be productive AND relaxed in the early morning hours (6am+)if I've had adequate sleep beforehand. Unfortunately, I have the WORST time waking up and often turn my alarm off in my sleep.

Post a Comment

 
©2009 Poetry Found Me