How Not to Cook



So I don't really like to cook. There, that's out there. Probably because I don't know how and am being lazy about learning.

The summer after I graduated last year, I had a sweet deal at the hospital I worked at in Tillamook, Oregon. Not only paid rent. But paid meals in the cafeteria. It was small. It wasn't always great. But I was covered. It got tricky after the summer when I moved in with a coworker while job hunting, but I managed. Then four months later I moved home. Covered again. But now I'm back on my own.

And I've been eating out. A lot.

But when I don't, here are the things that I "cook" (read "eat") at home:

  1. Grillers (oh.em.gee...why did I not think about that before a few weeks ago?!)
  2. Ramen or Campbell's (that was mostly this summer)
  3. Bread and butter (cliche...but satisfying)
  4. Peanut butter and applesauce on toast
  5. Pita bread or Triscuits with humus
  6. Nutella (on toast, crackers, pitas, or even by itself...just occassionally)
  7. Essential chips: Baked Lays, Cheez-Its, Wheat Thins, Sun Chips.
  8. Honey roasted peanuts
  9. Oatmeal (non-instant) with dried fruit (although not as much since I switched from instant...I can't figure out how to nuke it right!)
  10. Haystacks (with rice always...it's pretty yum)
  11. Granola bars galore
  12. English muffins with cream cheese
  13. Trail mix
When it comes to drink:
  1. Chocolate silk milk
  2. Skim milk (always)
  3. 100% juice (always)
  4. Chai tea mix
What, I forgot one? Dr Pepper? Nope, didn't forget it. I've made it a point since I had my own fridge to not keep it stocked with soda. Now and then. But it's rare. And very surprisingly, I've stuck with that for the past six years.

So looking at this, I don't have the best eating habits. Fresh veggies and fruit are rare. And while I usually have something sweet around, I don't stock up on it like I instinctively want to. And I don't keep food in my room (bad, bad idea).

I'm not used to spending time cooking. I'm not sure how to shop for actual groceries. I don't know how to plan it all. And yes, again, I'm being lazy about fixing those things. I do have several cookbooks. I could Google around or check out instructional books or cook with friends. And I will...someday soon.

But until then, it could be much worse, right? That's what I'm going with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
©2009 Poetry Found Me